[linux-lvm] Rebuilding ext4 filesystem on an LV

Ken Bass daytooner at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 21:16:40 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 11:27 AM, Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Jul 2010, Ken Bass wrote:
>
> > But what bothers me is this message I get when I run e2fsck (which runs
> > fsck.ext4):
> > "e2fsck: Invalid argument while trying to open
> > /dev/mapper/VolGroupX-LogVolX"
> >
> > Why am I getting that?
>
> Not an expert, just a user, but I suspect that the ioerr is because the
> metadata for that LV is still pointing to the missing PV.  (I know you
> replaced
> it, but that doesn't update the LV.)  I also noticed that the lvdisplay
> you posted says LogVolX belongs to VolGroupW, not VolGroupX.  Perhaps you
> sanitized the names and that is a typo - otherwise, there is something
> screwy.

Yes, I guess my sanitizing wasn't 100% sterile :-(.

> I suspect recovering the remaining data will require skipping the (huge)
> chuck of LV that was on the missing PV.  Or maybe the experts here
> will recommend editing the metadata to move the extent from the missing
> PV to the new PV.

That is what I am really trying to do. As I said early on, I was hoping to
find a backup superblock on the remaining part of the LV that might help
restore some of the data.. I have also looked at the metadata files, and was
wondering if I could manually rearrange the PVs. Any expert opinion on that?

FWIW: I found some utilities that supposedly will scan a drive with an
ext2/3 filesystem and recover files from it - although it only runs on
windows. It's free, so maybe worth a try.

thx to all for the help.

ken