[linux-lvm] Detecting active/inactive volume groups

Keegan Quinn kquinn at storix.com
Fri Jul 23 21:44:19 UTC 2010

Hello world,

I am searching for a way to determine which volume groups on a system
are active; ideally I'd like to be able to list all active volume groups
and all inactive volume groups separately, from the command line.

With older versions of LVM, I believe this was possible by using the -D
flag to vgdisplay. Unfortunately, with current versions of LVM - I'm
running 2.02.66 presently - the -D flag no longer exists, and I cannot
find equivalent functionality in vgdisplay or in any other command. In
fact, vgdisplay now appears to always list all VGs, regardless of their
state, and makes no mention whatsoever of active or inactive state.

Is it possible to determine which VGs are active or inactive, with
recent versions of LVM? How should I go about doing this?

Thanks,

  - Keegan

--
Keegan Quinn  <kquinn at storix.com>