[linux-lvm] Disk Partitioning tools, GUI preferably- best for LVM Logical Volume Management ; jor

Harald Heigl Harald_Heigl at gmx.at
Sat Jul 24 16:54:53 UTC 2010

Hi!
>[This list is for all LVM questions, not just RedHat distro questions,
>yes?]

Yes this list is for lvm in general ...

>[BTW, is making that 4th partition a logical one, & putting more
>partitions in there necessary anymore?

The limitation of the 4 partitions is not a linux thing, the "Master Boot
Record" (MBR) is on a single sector on your disk (sectors are usually
512Bytes big), it's a historical thing. The MBR can hold 4 entries and not
more.

>I'd greatly appreciate a competent GUI partitioner.  I only partition
>disks a few times per year, & it's great to have the GUI have the
>commands available to do the partitions ...

As said you may use one drive as pv and divide that into lvs. In Fedora
there is also a gui for lvm, but I didn't use it really, so I can't
recommend it. I always use command-line for this (partitioning (if ever
necessary) with fdisk and lv-commands)

The reasons for dos-partiton as Stuart said:
>3) you are using the grub boot loader, which doesn't speak LVM yet
3) If you have kubuntu 10.04 (I suggest 10.4 is a spell error) you should
have grub2 and therefore it should be lvm-aware even on your boot disk (but
not every distro can handle this, that’s true ...)

Greetings,
Harald Heigl