[linux-lvm] rescue a lvm

Takahiro Yasui takahiro.yasui at hds.com
Mon Jun 28 15:19:34 UTC 2010

Hello Octavio,

> I remove a PV from a GV on a umounted system and then I lost the whole group, now I just have the first HD and I want to read the data it has

> I have the pv without change the the VG is lost
> I have the backup of meta data in the PV so can I wondering to know if is safe to vgcfgrestore the file? or I could lost the data?

I'm not an expert of this area and not sure if you can rescue it or not,
but the following document might be helpful to you.

Chapter 6. LVM Troubleshooting
http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5.5/html/Logical_Volume_Manager_Administration/troubleshooting.html

6.4. Recovering Physical Volume Metadata
http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5.5/html/Logical_Volume_Manager_Administration/mdatarecover.html

Thanks,
Taka

--