[linux-lvm] The maximum size of a Logical volume

>From LVM2 FAQ,  I get the following answer:

4.1.13.
What is the maximum size of a single LV?

The answer to this question depends upon the CPU architecture of your computer and the kernel you are a running:

But I want to why the maximum size is 16TB on 32-bit CPU.  With LBD (large block device) is configured,  kernel use u64 to represent sector number, so the capacity of a block device can become more than 16TB.  Where is the limitation ?  Thanks.