[linux-lvm] Reduce an LVM volume split on two physical disks

Bryan Whitehead driver at megahappy.net
Mon Mar 29 21:18:44 UTC 2010

Reducing the size of the LV is possible, but the filesystem sitting on
top likely cannot be reduced.
(there are some guides to resize ext3, such as:
http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_resizing_ext3_partitions )

Suggestion:
Use an external disk (usb/firewire) and add it to the volume group
where the two logical disks are on. migrate data off the second disk,
replace disk, then migrate data off the external disk, and then remove
the external disk.