[linux-lvm] Status of LVM snapshot merging

There does not seem to be much information available on the status of
LVM snapshot merging available. I looked at the patches available from
the original author and both my kernel and LVM versions are newer than
what he provides patches for.

In lieu of the feature being available, does anyone know if it would
be possible to use rsync to effectivly merge a snapshot volume with
its origin volume?

If so, my plan was to try an extensive upgrade of my system on the
snapshot volume. If all goes well, I would then rsync the snapshot
back to the origin, update my fstab, and remove the snapshot. If it
does not go well, that's the easy part, just drop the snapshot and go
back to the origin.

Thanks,
Richard