Re: [linux-lvm] Adding a disk to expand an existing logical volume

On 10-05-19 12:51 PM, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
On Wed, 19 May 2010, kevin wrote:

If I were you, I would not bother with partition(s). I will add the
whole disk to LVM.

I intend for the entire disk to be used -- so I should just skip the fdisk
step?

Yes, just do the pvcreate directly on /dev/sdc (instead of /dev/sdc1).

I would only recommend this if the drive is permanently attached to your
server.  If there is any possibility of it getting moved to another system,
especially another OS, it is likely to appear "unformatted" and the other
OS will offer to create a partition table, etc, destroying the data.
The partition table, although otherwise useless for LVM (and a pain when
trying to align PPs to some lower lever boundary), does serve the purpose
of telling other PC operating systems that there is something there.

There ya go, I learn something new every day. :)

--
Digimer
E-Mail:         linux alteeve com