[linux-lvm] LVM + LUKS - Can't mount encrypted LV

John Himpel jwhimpel at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 21:21:56 UTC 2010

Good afternoon,

I created this structure using anaconda, so I'm a bit unsure of all the
details:
1) Encrypted partition
2) VG <vg_dubby> containing three LV's <lv_root, lv_home, lv_swap>

I suppose it's possible the encryption is at another (or even
additional) level than the partition.
Like I said, I created this with anaconda and it's been almost 18 months, so
my memory is not certain.

I am trying to mount the LV and am getting errors.

I am running Fedora Rawhide as of 11/1/2010

Steps taken:
modprobe dm-crypt
modprobe dm-mod
cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdf6 F14    <-- /dev/sdf6 is the location of
encrypted partition
   Enter passphrase for /dev/sdf6:
   <Entered passphrase here>
vgscan
  Reading all physical volumnes.  This may take a while...
  Found volume group "vg_dubby" using metadata type lvm2
vgchange -a y vg_dubby
  3 logical volume(s) in volume group "vg_dubby" now active
mount /dev/vg_dubby/lv_root /mnt/root
  mount: unknown filesystem type 'crypto_LUKS'

In scanning the web, I see almost all of the examples show output from
cryptsetup as including:
       key slot 0 unlocked.
       Command successful.
Mine did not.

Output from
cryptsetup luksDump /dev/sdf6 shows Key Slot 0: ENABLED

All other Key Slots are DISABLED.

lvs and pvscan look reasonable to me, but I'm a novice, so I'm not quite
sure what to look for.
pvs
  PV            VG          Fmt  Attr  PSize    PFree
  /dev/dm-2  vg_dubby  lvm2 a-    724.09g 32.00m
lvs
  LV          VG          Attr    LSize  Origin Snap% Move Log Copy% Convert
  lv_home  vg_dubby  -wi--- 664.25g
  lv_root    vg_dubby  -wi---  50.00g
  lv_swap  vg_dubby  -wi---   9.81g

Thanks.