[linux-lvm] Determine boot disk device name...

Tue Oct 26 08:29:41 UTC 2010

Hi!

2010/10/25 Malahal Naineni <malahal at us.ibm.com>

> wrote:
> >    I also wanted to suggest this, but…
> >
> >    benutzer at horst:~$ cat /proc/cmdline
> >    root=/dev/xvda1 ro
>
> I got confused with boot and root! Thanks for correction. Usually boot
> disk is mounted at /boot. Your boot disk could be same as root disk (in
> this case there would not be anything mounted at /boot but just a
> directory).

Well, but even the location of the /boot directory/partition doesn't
necessarily tell, from where someone booted - suppose, you've got
a boot disk /dev/sda. On /dev/sda, there's grub. Grub's setup so,
that it boots a system/kernel, which is on /dev/sdb. The system
is "self contained" on /dev/sdb.

In such a case, the system would've been booted from /dev/sda,
but there's no way to tell that, once the "/dev/sdb system" has
been started - or is there?

Cheers,
Alexander
--