Re: [linux-lvm] Determine boot disk device name...

   Lacking any better answers so far, you can:

Look for grub.conf / lilo
check each device for a valid boot block (begins with EB 48 90 on x64)
Restate the question to specify what you actually want to accomplish.

   As an example of the last option, someone might try to figure
out which disk was booted from in order see which bootloader is there,
and that information will be used to do some other task, call it "task C".
It may be possible to figure out which bootloader it is without knowing
which device was booted from, and it may be possible to do "task C"
without either of the previously discussed steps.
--
Ray Morris
support bettercgi com

http://www.bettercgi.com/strongbox/

http://www.bettercgi.com/throttlebox/

On 10/26/2010 01:41:39 PM, Malahal Naineni wrote:
Alexander Skwar [alexanders mailinglists+nospam gmail com] wrote:
>    Hi!
>    2010/10/25 Malahal Naineni <[1]malahal us ibm com>
>
> Alexander Skwar [[2]alexanders mailinglists+nospam gmail com] wrote:
>      >    I also wanted to suggest this, but…
>      >
>      >    benutzer horst:~$ cat /proc/cmdline
>      >    root=/dev/xvda1 ro
>
> I got confused with boot and root! Thanks for correction. Usually boot > disk is mounted at /boot. Your boot disk could be same as root disk (in > this case there would not be anything mounted at /boot but just a
>      directory).
>
> Well, but even the location of the /boot directory/partition doesn't
>    necessarily tell, from where someone booted - suppose, you've got
>    a boot disk /dev/sda. On /dev/sda, there's grub. Grub's setup so,
>    that it boots a system/kernel, which is on /dev/sdb. The system
>    is "self contained" on /dev/sdb.
>
>    In such a case, the system would've been booted from /dev/sda,
>    but there's no way to tell that, once the "/dev/sdb system" has
>    been started - or is there?

Once loader's job is done, it is not needed and I don't think there is a
way to find out your boot disk in all __situations__ as I said before.
In fact, you can use a USB disk as your boot disk and remove it after
boot.

Thanks, Malahal.