Re: [linux-lvm] Snapshots and disk re-use

On 06/04/2011 01:08, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
On Wed, 6 Apr 2011, Jonathan Tripathy wrote:

lvcreate -nNewCustomerLV -L20G vg0

where vg0 is /dev/vg0
and vg0 is a volume group which uses an entire physical partition (Which I guess is called a PV).

Now, if I were to create my snapshots on a seperate vg, eg:

You can't do that. Snapshots must be on the same VG. James is suggesting you create them on the same VG, but a different PV reserved for backup snapshots.
Guess I need to go back to LVM basics. I had a "hierarchical" structure in my head (which must be wrong):

An LV sites on top of a VG which sits on top of a PV

But going by your comment above, you can add multiple PVs (Physical partitions) to a single VG and create some form of a JBOD configuration?