[linux-lvm] Snapshots and disk re-use

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Wed Apr 6 00:38:30 UTC 2011

On Wed, 6 Apr 2011, Jonathan Tripathy wrote:

> pvcreate /dev/hdb7
> vgextend /dev/hdb7
>
> Then, every time I create a new customer LV, I would do:
>
> lvcreate -nNewCustomerLV -L20G vg0 /dev/md3
>
> Then, every time I wanted to create a snapshot:
>
> lvcreate -L20G -s -n data_snap /dev/vg0/NewCustomerLV /dev/hdb7
>
> Is that correct? No Leakage? And no zeroing needed?

Correct.  Except vgextend needs to specify a VG.  And you still need to zero a
customer LV before removing it.  The PV reserved for snapshots approach only
avoids the need to zero snapshots.

I wonder if there is an elegant way to automate things like this via
"allocation policies" or similar in the metadata.

--
 	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>