Re: [linux-lvm] Snapshots and disk re-use

On Wed, 6 Apr 2011, Jonathan Tripathy wrote:

pvcreate /dev/hdb7
vgextend /dev/hdb7

Then, every time I create a new customer LV, I would do:

lvcreate -nNewCustomerLV -L20G vg0 /dev/md3

Then, every time I wanted to create a snapshot:

lvcreate -L20G -s -n data_snap /dev/vg0/NewCustomerLV /dev/hdb7

Is that correct? No Leakage? And no zeroing needed?

Correct.  Except vgextend needs to specify a VG.  And you still need to zero a
customer LV before removing it.  The PV reserved for snapshots approach only
avoids the need to zero snapshots.

I wonder if there is an elegant way to automate things like this via
"allocation policies" or similar in the metadata.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart bmsi com>