Re: [linux-lvm] Snapshots and disk re-use

On Tue, 5 Apr 2011, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

lvcreate -L20G -s -n data_snap /dev/vg0/NewCustomerLV /dev/hdb7

Is that correct? No Leakage? And no zeroing needed?

Correct.  Except vgextend needs to specify a VG.  And you still need to zero
a customer LV before removing it.  The PV reserved for snapshots approach
only avoids the need to zero snapshots.

In fact, since you still have to zero an LV before removing, you might as well
zero an LV when you allocate.  Same overhead.  Then you don't need to mess
with any of these schemes to deal with snapshots.  Did we already cover
that obvious solution?  We did discuss a utility to optimize zeroing an
already mostly zero LV.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart bmsi com>