Re: [linux-lvm] Snapshots and disk re-use

On 06/04/2011 01:38, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
On Wed, 6 Apr 2011, Jonathan Tripathy wrote:

pvcreate /dev/hdb7
vgextend /dev/hdb7

Then, every time I create a new customer LV, I would do:

lvcreate -nNewCustomerLV -L20G vg0 /dev/md3

Then, every time I wanted to create a snapshot:

lvcreate -L20G -s -n data_snap /dev/vg0/NewCustomerLV /dev/hdb7

Is that correct? No Leakage? And no zeroing needed?

Correct. Except vgextend needs to specify a VG. And you still need to zero a customer LV before removing it. The PV reserved for snapshots approach only
avoids the need to zero snapshots.
Excellent! Cake for all! :)

I wonder if there is an elegant way to automate things like this via
"allocation policies" or similar in the metadata.
Indeed, there does seem to be some scope here for a code feature request as this does seem like an aweful lot of work for something that could very easily be overlooked. Every book or article I've read about hosting seems to never mention anything about zeroing....