Re: [linux-lvm] Snapshots and disk re-use

On 06/04/2011 01:47, Jonathan Tripathy wrote:

Currently, as part of our procedure, we zero LVs once a customer has left our service. The reason why we don't zero on allocation is that customer usually expect quick setup times (under 10 minutes) and zeroing gigabytes worth of space can take too long. Getting new zeroed LVs ready before sign ups also isn't an option but for other reasons.

Very reasonable

It however is a shame than lvm cannot zero PE (physical extents) on first access or do a proper background initialisation. As would happen on hardware raids.

James