Re: [linux-lvm] LVM Naming Convention

Assarsson, Emil wrote:
We have also started to use hostnames in the VG names for the same reason. Starting with vg makes is easier to auto complete when using bash :-P. I don't see any reason why to use "lv" to the LV's but it doesn't hurt. I also try to use UUID's in the /etc/fstab as much as possible.

Best regards
Emil Assarsson
I also use the hostname in the volume group name for all the reasons already suggest, its particularly valuable when dealing with san disk, as any mistake is very obvious.

personally I use

Where type is l for local disk s for san. I keep my raid 1 and raid 5 in different volume groups to avoid mistakes, however both are called l or s.

Where the disk is for use to virtual machines I used

I put _vg at the end of all volume groups mostly for completeness, and avoidance of any change of a name clash, I also thing _lv is useful as alots of devices can be mixed up in /dev/mapper so giving them a seperate namespace so the don't get mixed up with multipathed disk, (and in the old days raw devices) etc. I can do a ls /dev/mapper/*_lv to see all my logical volumes all in one go, independant of group.

James