[linux-lvm] Please help me recover my LVM configuration

Eugene Vilensky evilensky at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 01:17:46 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 5:06 PM, David Ziring <zeke at thebayou.net> wrote:
> So, assuming the data is still on /dev/sdc1, if I recreate the PV, will I
> lose data?  i.e., will pvcreate –vvvv –u <my uuid> /dev/sdc1 destroy the
> data on the partition?
> Similiarly, will vgcreate –v <my volumename> /dev/sdc1 kill my data?

David,

If all that you have destroyed is the partition table, you may be able
to simply recover that appropriately, reboot, and vgscan everything
back into place.  If you still have your partition table intact…if
there is more extensive damage, Ray has shared about as detailed
instructions as one can find on a mailing list for a class of problem.

I wouldn't go about re-creating anything until you've ascertained what
has been lost, which is slightly unclear from your mailings.

-Ev