[linux-lvm] Securing against data lost

Ray Morris support at bettercgi.com
Wed Aug 10 19:54:33 UTC 2011

Obviously the number one answer on how to prevent data loss
is PROPER back up. That means off site, with multiple time
points, so you can go back to an earlier back up if you
recognize  problem a couple of days later.

> What happens if I accidental destroys the LVM information?

You use vgcfgrestore.

> What happens if the first disk fails do I lose everything on the two
> second disk too?

When a disk fails (not if) you replace it and rebuild the array.

Not using any RAID _and_ don't have a proper back up? In that
case, retrieving the files from the other two disks could be a
pain. It would be essentially the same thing as if you ran this
to zero the first third of a filesystem:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda2 bs=1024 count=66000000

You could probably restore some files from the last 2/3rds
of the filesystem, but that would be a question for people
who know about whatever filesystem was in use.
--
Ray Morris
support at bettercgi.com

http://www.bettercgi.com/strongbox/