Re: [linux-lvm] dmsetup -split is buggy

2011-08-15 02:34:20 -0700, Linda A. Walsh:
[...]
> I can hack around the bug, but its surprising that dmsetup doesn't support
> the only official LVM names (/dev/VG/LV).
>
> Is this bug a 'feature', or is it something that should be fixed?
[...]

dmsetup deals with device-mapper devices. Those in /dev/mapper,
that you can see with "dmsetup table". LVM uses the
device-mapper, and is one of the many subsystems that use it.
You can even create device mapper devices manually and use
whatever convention you like like.

sudo dmsetup table VG-LV | dmsetup create LV VG

for instance, to make a clone of the VG-LV device (created by LVM from
the VG/LV subvolume) as a LV VG device.

If there's a bug in dmsetup, it's with providing with a
"splitname" subcommand. I can't think of any good reason why
that is included. IMO, that feature should be provided by LVM,
not dmsetup.

--
Stephane