Re: [linux-lvm] lvm hangup on snapshot overflow

Thanks for the reply!

What exactly are you trying to do with lvconvert rather than lvcreate?
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand the question.

> Never let snapshots fill up - use dmeventd instead and intervene in
> a controlled way before they are full.

Thanks for the idea. The only obstacle, preventing from using dmeventd right away, is that it can unmount/extend full snapshots, while I need to have them switched to read-only.

And the final question: is it planned to integrate control over snapshots to lvm itself and how soon if yes?

2011/8/14 Alasdair G Kergon <agk redhat com>
On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 07:05:31PM +0300, Pasha Z wrote:
> lvconvert device-mapper: suspend ioctl failed: Input/output error
> lvconvert Unable to suspend VG-sn_x (252:3)
> lvconvert Failed to suspend origin lv

What exactly are you trying to do with lvconvert rather than lvcreate?

Never let snapshots fill up - use dmeventd instead and intervene in
a controlled way before they are full.

The lvconvert -s man page is too subtle and needs improving.

Alasdair