Re: [linux-lvm] lvm2: zeroing free space

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 10:54 PM, Mike Snitzer <snitzer redhat com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 04 2011 at  9:12am -0500,
> Bryn M. Reeves <bmr redhat com> wrote:
>> They wanted a method to write zeros to all the unallocated space in a VG to
>> trigger a reclaim of unused regions in the VG's PVs.

Probably not directly relevant, but perhaps of interest to those who
haven't come across it before.

Zerofree is designed to do this for loopback filesystems; I came
across it in the context of union/aufs overlays, via Grml's changelog

http://intgat.tigress.co.uk/rmy/uml/sparsify.html