[linux-lvm] Snapshots and disk re-use

Hi Everyone,

We host many Xen VMs for customers. We use LVM as the fisk storage for these VMs. When a customer cancels, we generally dd their LV with /dev/zero, before removing the LV.

If however we want to create a snapshot of a customer's LV, is there the chance that the data may appear on a new future LV if we were to create one (for a new customer)? Is is my understanding that most filesystems don't actually remove data from a disk when deleting a file, but just set an "ignore" tag of some sort...

Thanks