[linux-lvm] Insufficient suitable allocatable extents for logical volume

Paweł Brodacki pawel.brodacki at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 8 16:32:19 UTC 2011

2011/4/24 Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson at cox.net>:
> Why does this happen?  I think it has something to do with the fact that I
> set the lv to striped.
>
> TIA,
> Ron

>From Red Hat's LVM Administrator's Guide:
"Striped logical volumes can be extended by concatenating another set
of devices onto the end of
the first set. In order extend a striped logical volume, however,
there must be enough free space on
the underlying physical volumes that make up the volume group to
support the stripe. For example,
if you have a two-way stripe that uses up an entire volume group,
adding a single physical volume
to the volume group will not enable you to extend the stripe. Instead,
you must add at least two
physical volumes to the volume group."

So yes, the fact that you set the LV to stripped matters. Read the
manual http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/pdf/Logical_Volume_Manager_Administration/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux-6-Logical_Volume_Manager_Administration-en-US.pdf,
it contains a section on extending striped logical volumes.

Regards,
Paweł