[linux-lvm] Help me understand LVM as it may be implemented in cryptsetup and (not?) Gparted

neon_ bikini neon_bikini at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 19 16:01:56 UTC 2011

I'm pushing my way up to this list as my question has languished in other forums...
Upgrading F11 to F15 I've decided to take advantage of disk encryption for my laptop. My experience with Anaconda finds limited support for custom disk partitions (mine is dual boot). The result of my second install attempt was a PV boot and LVM Volume Group with home, root, and swap. The problem is these three Logical Volumes were made each with their own encryption! Fedora documentation only gives instructions for setting encrypting during Anaconda as whole disk install or [after the system is installed](http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/15/html/Installation_Guide/apcs04.html).
>From research and discussions I uncovered an [alternative](http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=1496052&postcount=14) where the [VG is the only encrypted part](http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1383201&postcount=2) of the partition scheme. Then I can continue installing Fedora using a disk which includes the Anaconda installer. This would make an encrypted Fedora system with a single unencrypt passphrase.

What I am not clear on is the step to create the LVs. Reading cryptsetup docs and the above examples I conclude LuksOpen and LuksClose commands "bookend" the LVM linux commands pvcreate, vgcreate, and lvcreate. Then I won't use gparted at all?

Since I will be deleting the existing partitions, being careful not to disrupt the current Win partition (first), I need do all of this from a liveCD. And this disk needs to have the LVM commands pvcreate, vgcreate, lvcreate, and cryptsetup-luks, and dm-crypt packages?
Once the VG is encrypted and the LVs are added then I can launch the Fedora spin or Full i386 DVD with Anaconda and complete the install?

Does this sound correct? Am I missing anything? Is there an easier way to do this? (^_^)