Re: [linux-lvm] Installation fails if VG is exported

On Tue, 7 Jun 2011, Misc Things wrote:

Exporting the VG is *supposed* to prevent activation.  You can reverse this
with vgimport.  Why did you wish to prevent activation?  Normally,
vgexport is used prior to physically removing a VG from the system.
(And then vgimport after attaching the drives to the new system.)

Well, I just want to keep my data intact while i'm playing with the
installation. I understand that @ this point it's just easier to pull
the power on the HDs with the VG in question. But i'm curious why this
is a problem...

It isn't a problem, unless you expect the VG to be available at boot time,
which apparently you do.  Do you have a root FS on the VG?

vgexport is for physically removing the drives, not for rebooting.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart bmsi com>