Re: [linux-lvm] removing a disk prematurely

Hello again all,

I didn't get an answer here, but I thought that for posterity I should
post what I hope is a potential solution.

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 12:32:30PM -0700, Keith Keller wrote:

> I have been looking everywhere for a good answer to this issue, with no
> success (including searching this list's archives); I hope that coming
> directly to the source will help.
>
> I made a mistake in removing physical media from a hot-swap drive bay
> before telling LVM I was going to remove it.  I don't actually care
> about the data on those disks at all--it was an old test volume that I
> hadn't even had mounted for over a year.  But now, when I do any lvm
> commands, I get an error like so:
>
> # pvdisplay
>   /dev/testVG/testLV: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 0: Input/output error
>
> and an error like this in the logs:
>
> scsi 1:0:2:0: rejecting I/O to dead device

I was able to clear the error on a test machine, without destroying any
(simulated) ''important'' data, using dmsetup:

dmsetup remove testVG-testLV

Does that seem like a reasonable course of action?

--keith

--
kkeller wombat san-francisco ca us