[linux-lvm] 2.6.37.2: LVM pvmove hangs system

Rolf Eike Beer eike-kernel at sf-tec.de
Tue Mar 8 13:49:44 UTC 2011

Am Dienstag 08 März 2011, 10:38:38 schrieb Rolf Eike Beer:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm experiencing a very annoying system lockup for some days. The setup is
> as follows:
>
> -two pairs of SATA disks that are bundled into a software raid 1 each
> -each of the raid devices is a physical volume
> -a volume group that includes both pv's
> -all mounted volumes (including root and swap) are in that vg
>
> The machine is a Xeon E5520 with 16G RAM that is otherwise idle, so swap
> shouldn't matter. And from what I read out of the documentation this all
> looks perfectly sane, but:
>
> Now I try to move the data from one pv to the other using pv. This prints
> out the current state (currently 10.9%) and then starts doing something.
> Two minutes later the kernel will complain:

After some further testing I _think_ I have an idea what's going on: this is a
deadlock somewhere in the I/O stack. I have recompiled the kernel with all the
lock debugging enabled and will probably test this but this is a production
machine that should better get online again better sooner than later so my
amount of what I can test is pretty limited. Since the machine is currently
doing the move and actually working I have not yet booted into the debug
kernel.

What I did was basically stopping everything on the machine. The only
userspace programs currently running are init, my sshd, my screen, shell, and
of course pvmove. And now it works. Whenever I try to do anything that causes
I/O in parallel the machine will stop working. So this box is basically at
runlevel 1 now moving all the stuff around instead of doing some useful work
while moving in the background :(

Eike