Re: [linux-lvm] lvextend and lvresize

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011, hansbkk gmail com wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Brent Clark <brentgclarklist gmail com>
> wrote:
> > What is the difference between lvextend and lvresize?
>

> Someone might be generous enough to answer, but IMO it is
> inconsiderate to waste the time of thousands of people by posting a
> question easily answered by a little research:

It is a reasonable enough question.  The OP obviously had already read
the man pages, which seems to describe the same cababilities for
lvresize and lvextend/lvreduce.  He wants to know why we have both?
Is it historical accident?  Or is there some subtle feature that
distinguishes the two?

First of all, notice that all three commands are links to the lvm
command, so they share code.  As far as I know, they are all just
alternate syntax for the same operations.  You might want to
use lvextend rather that lvresize, for instance, to avoid accidentally
reducing instead with a typo and destroying data.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart bmsi com>