Re: [linux-lvm] Advanced Format disks mixed with regular disks?

On 03/14/2011 12:17 PM, Mike Snitzer wrote:
On Mon, Mar 14 2011 at 12:47pm -0400,
Ron Johnson<ron l johnson cox net>  wrote:

Hi,

Is there any concern with mixing 4KB-sector drives with 512-byte
sector drives in the same LV?

Both LVM2 and Device Mapper have been updated to accommodate stacking
such a mix of drives.

See this for a bit more detail:
http://people.redhat.com/msnitzer/docs/io-limits.txt

Particularly, the "Stacking I/O Limits" section.

The concern raised for partial (4k) writes to the 512b drive was
discussed a bit more here: http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/2/22/295

Does this mean that util-linux v2.17.1 fdisk correctly handle AF disks? (Note that I will *not* be booting off an AF device.)

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/v2.17/v2.17.1-ReleaseNotes

fdisk:
   - cleanup alignment, default to 1MiB offset  [Karel Zak]
   - don't check alignment_offset against geometry  [Karel Zak]
   - fallback for topology values  [Karel Zak]
   - fix ALIGN_UP  [Karel Zak]
   - fix check_alignment()  [Karel Zak]
   - fix default first sector  [Karel Zak]
   - use "optimal I/O size" in warnings  [Karel Zak]
   - use 1MiB offset and grain always when possible  [Karel Zak]
   - use more elegant way to count and check alignment  [Karel Zak]
   - use optimal_io_size  [Karel Zak]

--
I prefer banana-flavored energy bars made from tofu.