[linux-lvm] Advanced Format disks mixed with regular disks?

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Tue Mar 15 17:36:52 UTC 2011

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Mar 2011, Karel Zak wrote:
>
>> Some hints:
>> http://karelzak.blogspot.com/2010/05/4096-byte-sector-hard-drives.html
>
> I remember working with 256 byte sector hard drives the size of a mini
> refrigerator.  512 byte sectors were "advanced format".

More future oriented: I read about high density storage just around the
corner that uses much larger sectors, typically 128K or 256K.  These
are things like holographic memory.  The researchers complain that
existing filesystems can't handle the large sector size efficiently.  (Don't
know what filesystems they tried.)  I note the similarity between
those sector sizes and flash erase blocks.

--
 	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>