Re: [linux-lvm] Advanced Format disks mixed with regular disks?

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011, Karel Zak wrote:

Some hints:
http://karelzak.blogspot.com/2010/05/4096-byte-sector-hard-drives.html

I remember working with 256 byte sector hard drives the size of a mini refrigerator. 512 byte sectors were "advanced format".

More future oriented: I read about high density storage just around the
corner that uses much larger sectors, typically 128K or 256K.  These
are things like holographic memory. The researchers complain that existing filesystems can't handle the large sector size efficiently. (Don't
know what filesystems they tried.)  I note the similarity between
those sector sizes and flash erase blocks.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart bmsi com>