[linux-lvm] Advanced Format disks mixed with regular disks?

Ron Johnson ron.l.johnson at cox.net
Thu Mar 17 23:47:18 UTC 2011

On 03/16/2011 07:39 PM, Martin K. Petersen wrote:

> Phillip>  The kernel has the ability to read it from the drive and report
> Phillip>  it to the user space tools, which have been patched to use it,
> Phillip>  but the WD EARS drives lie and claim 512/512 instead of
> Phillip>  512/4096.
>
> The saving grace is that modern util-linux/dm tooling aligns on 1MB by
> default instead of sector 63.

So, given the correct options ( -c -b 4096 ), v2.17.2 will handle
the 2TB WD Caviar Green WD20EARS drives which I just bought for my
external backup device...  Right?

(Along with a current lvm and kernel.)
https://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-lvm/2011-March/msg00053.html

--
I prefer banana-flavored energy bars made from tofu.