Re: [linux-lvm] vgexport usage

On 03/17/2011 02:32 PM, Males, Jess wrote:
> From 'man 8 vgexport':
vgexport allows you to make the inactive VolumeGroupName(s) unknown to  the  system.

By 'unknown to the system' I would expect it would not appear in vg listings such as vgs (shown below) or vgdisplay.

[root icarus lvm]# vgcreate junk /dev/loop1 /dev/loop2 /dev/loop3
   Volume group "junk" successfully created
[root icarus lvm]# vgs
   VG         #PV #LV #SN Attr   VSize  VFree
   junk         3   0   0 wz--n- 48.00M 48.00M
[root icarus lvm]# vgchange junk -a n
   0 logical volume(s) in volume group "junk" now active
[root icarus lvm]# vgs
   VG         #PV #LV #SN Attr   VSize  VFree
   junk         3   0   0 wz--n- 48.00M 48.00M
[root icarus lvm]# vgexport junk
   Volume group "junk" successfully exported
[root icarus lvm]# vgs
   VG         #PV #LV #SN Attr   VSize  VFree
   junk         3   0   0 wzx-n- 48.00M 48.00M

However, more disturbing is that if I remove one of the disks, lvm complains about a missing item.

[root icarus lvm]# losetup -d /dev/loop2
[root icarus lvm]# vgs
   Couldn't find device with uuid 1gNBDl-dOqI-OQid-TIcq-8Lp2-qUa2-PwdvnB.
   VG         #PV #LV #SN Attr   VSize  VFree
   junk         3   0   0 wzxpn- 48.00M 48.00M

Am I expecting the wrong things from this command?

Thanks,

-- Jess Males

Maybe "unknown" is the wrong word in this case. You will be able to see this VG using vgs, vgdisplay and so on. But you can't remove when you try a vgremove.

You have to import it back (vgimport VolumeGroup) to change it again.

I think that unknown means more like "unchangeable".

[]'s

--
Anderson Kaiser (RHCE, RHCVA)
Red Hat Brasil - Global Support Services