Re: [linux-lvm] Powerfailure and snapshot consistency

On 03/25/2011 11:52 PM, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
On Fri, 25 Mar 2011, Ron Johnson wrote:

On 03/25/2011 11:24 PM, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
[snip]

2) make sure important LVs do not span multiple PVs (except for LVM
mirroring) - you could be unhappy in the event of a system crash.

But isn't "volumes larger than physical devices" (one of) the raison
d'etre of LVM?

Yes, but a power failure can then mess up the ordering of write completions
distributed between 2 or more PVs, which could defeat the assumptions made
by your file system journaling.

File a bug...  But against what?  LVM?  The FS?  The block layer?

and

No, YMMV, but I generally have a number of smaller LVs (for virtual
machines)
and it is nice to have a larger pool of PVs from which they are allocated.

I guess I'm just a DP Dinosaur who thinks that if a machine is beefy
enough to run a bunch of services then those services should run directly on the machine. (Obviously I don't work for a web hosting company...)

corrupt."