[linux-lvm] How to fix missmatch between VG-size and LV-size?

Ray Morris support at bettercgi.com
Tue Mar 29 17:44:34 UTC 2011

> While adding a new disk to my LV i ended up with a crash during the
> resize2fs.

resize2fs would be run AFTER lvextend, so if resize2fs was running,
the LV would need to be the new, larger size.  Yet, you said
"the system still thinks the LV is the old size".  Did you run
vgcfgrestore already, restoring to the point between where you
ran vgextend and lvextend?  Perhaps you forgot to run lvextend,
but then one would expect resize2fs to tell you it was already
full sized.  Double check what you did, because this information
is not consistent.

> If I can revert the adding of the new drive, I planned on
> trying to vgcfgrestore to an archived config from before I added the
> drive and did the lvextend and resize2fs.

Indeed you could "undo" the vgextend and lvextend via vgcfgrestore,
or via lvreduce + vgreduce, but first you probably need to undo
resize2fs.  Use fsck to get the filesystem consistent, if possible.
Then resize it back to the old smaller size.  At this point you
can move forward by using lvextend, then resize2fs. You could also
move backward from that point with lvreduce and vgreduce.
--
Ray Morris
support at bettercgi.com

http://www.bettercgi.com/strongbox/