[linux-lvm] [dm-devel] do not disable ext4 discards on first discard failure? [was: Re: dm snapshot: ignore discards issued to the snapshot-origin target]

Ted Ts'o tytso at mit.edu
Wed May 4 16:33:17 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 09:28:51AM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> On 4/29/11 7:29 AM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > FYI, that disable discard on failure seems to be an ext4 special and no
> > one else picked up that stupid idea.  If ext4 wants to misbehave for
> > that just let them..
>
> It was my "stupid idea," and I'm ok with reverting it ;)

I think I forgot to send the patch out, but it's been reverted in the
ext4 master branch, commit id: d9f34504e695.  It's more than a revert,
actually, since I also dropped error checking for FITRIM.  Otherwise
an attempt to use FITRIM would stop after hitting the first dm region
that didn't support discards.

						- Ted