[linux-lvm] N00b Question: Logical Volume without a Logical Volume Group ?

Mark H. Wood mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Wed Nov 2 14:02:20 UTC 2011

BTW I wouldn't call it a "logical volume group".  It's not a group of
logical volumes, but of physical volumes to be treated as a single
slab of storage capacity.  You pile 1-n physical volumes together as a
volume group and then slice off various amounts of the group's
capacity in which to make logical volumes.

A group of one PV may seem strange at first, but it makes things
easier than having to make the LV layer understand *both* the VG and
PV layers.  Not to mention the sysadmin having to understand and
remember two different layerings.

I operate a bunch of boxes with hardware RAID and every one of them is
currently set up as 1 PV : 1 VG : n LV.  (None has enough disks to
make multiple RAID sets worthwhile, or in most cases even possible.)
I see the VG abstraction as capacity to deal with problems that just
haven't come to our shop yet.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Asking whether markets are efficient is like asking whether people are smart.