Re: [linux-lvm] N00b Question: Logical Volume without a Logical Volume Group ?

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 11:39 AM, James Hawtin <oolon ankh org> wrote:
Dan White wrote:

I just experienced that.

I had to reboot the machine to "see" the expanded LUN.
I used fdisk to make a partition out of the LUN expansion, but I had to reboot again before I could do anything further.
After the second reboot, I was able to make a PV out of the new partition, roll it into the existing VG and then expand the two test LV's I had previously created to utilize the new elbow room.

This is on a RHEL 5.7 system.

Is there a way to do this without the rebooting ?

Assuming the device is sda then

|echo 1 > /sys/block/sda/device/rescan|

However if that fails (and it can) only a reboot or removing the disk driver module and reinstalling it will scan it correctly (possible if you have a mix of local and san disk) however probably a reboot is easiler.

Not sure if this sort of thing matters to everyone, but I was informed by Support that despite methods that may be available at hand, a reboot is the only "Supported" method of recognizing changed partition information on a disk that is in use.  -1.