[linux-lvm] Got Error 5 while doing vgimportclone without exporting the VG

chrisp chrisp262 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 22:02:48 UTC 2011

Hi,

So its been ages since I looked at vgimportclone but I think moving
those lines would be bad.

Line 230 gets a list of the current VG names which is then used to
find a name for the imported VG that doesn't conflict with something
that already exists.  You have to get the existing names before you
set the temporary LVM_SYSTEM_DIR because doing that restricts lvm to
only seeing the importing VG (which you need to do to prevent
conflicts while your working on it) so you cant get the VG list once
thats happened.

(well I guess you could move the line but you'll have to be very
certain that the new name you give via -n is unique if not things will
get messy)

I dont quite understand what your actually doing, I'm a netapp guy so
the EMC terminology is a bit alien to me but wether a vg is exported
before the clone shouldn't matter, you should just present in the
clone, find the new device names, and run vgimportclone.

Can you run
vgs -o name --noheadings
normally without errors? what about just before vgimportclone?

chris