Re: [linux-lvm] Debian 64bit get a "Volume vg0 not found" message

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011, Brent Clark wrote:

I ended, up taking a initrd.img-2.6.32-5-amd64 from another server and placing it in /boot.
And that worked.

But what I dont understand is, in the chroot environment, I restalled the kernel, lvm2 packages, ran mkinitramfs and update-initramfs. Nothing would work.

So ultimately, I still dont have the solution. :)

A chroot doesn't have enough info to reliably run mkinitrd on RedHat.
I'm assuming the same is true for Debian and mkinitramfs.  Things
like volumegroups work fine - the usual problem is device drivers.

Mkinitrd has --with to include specific drivers.  For instance,

mkinitrd -v --omit-scsi-modules --with=xenblk --with=xennet initrd-2.6.9-100.ELxenU.img 2.6.9-100.ELxenU

To include xen drivers for a virtual machine or

mkinitrd -v --with=megaraid ...

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart bmsi com>