[linux-lvm] Getting 'incorrect semaphore state' on self configured server kernel

Mark van Dijk lists+linux-lvm at internecto.net
Tue Aug 7 12:00:34 UTC 2012

Hello,

When I run lvcreate and lvremove I get the errors you can see at the
bottom of this email. I have been seeing this on kernels I configured
from scratch, right now this is version 3.5 on an x64 running ArchLinux.

I must have made a mistake with the kernel's options or I am
overlooking something. It's clearly a configuration option because I
don't get these errors with ArchLinux's distribution kernel. So what am
I doing wrong?

Note, LVM does work fine apart from these issues.

After many compiling iterations I'm all out of ideas and while I'm
aware that one can work around the errors LV's with the -Zn options,
I'd rather get this stuff fixed :)

This is my kernel config: http://pastebin.com/isVsziSe

The error:

# lvcreate -L100M -n foobar -v array
/dev/array/foobar: not found: device not cleared
Aborting. Failed to wipe start of new LV.
semid 983040: semop failed for cookie 0xd4d19ee: incorrect semaphore
state Failed to set a proper state for notification semaphore
identified by cookie value 223156718 (0xd4d19ee) to initialize waiting
for incoming notifications.

I appreciate all help I can get.

--
Kind regards,