Re: [linux-lvm] lvextend NEVER works but screws up

Dne 27.8.2012 13:46, tariq wali napsal(a):
Guys , thanks much for your time on the issue, really appreciate it . I had
tried everything suggested so far (lvresize/extend) updated filesystem
tools etc

@Stuart D Gathman , YOU ARE THE MAN SIR :) and nailed it down .

I wanted to reproduce the same issue again and i did that not know how
ignorant I was being ..

# lvextend -L +40G /dev/vg0/bin-logs
   Extending logical volume bin-logs to 110.00 GB
   Logical volume bin-logs successfully resized

lvs
   LV       VG   Attr   LSize   Origin Snap%  Move Log Copy%  Convert
   bin-logs vg0  -wi-ao *110.00G*
   data     vg0  -wi-ao 380.00G

resize2fs /dev/vg0/bin-logs
resize2fs 1.39 (29-May-2006)
resize2fs: Filesystem has unsupported feature(s) while trying to open
/dev/vg0/bin-logs
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.

#this is where I would get psyched , i did the same thing to all my ext2/3
filesystems and have extended file systems online without an issue for
years ..but did I fforget the file system type this time , yes indeed I for
got we have started doing ext4 on all our new servers and didn't realise
ext4 fancies it's own bells and whistles ..

I ran the all new resize4fs as suggested by Stuart , and it made my day in
fact it made for the whole week's frustration :)

resize4fs /dev/vg0/logs
resize4fs 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
Filesystem at /dev/vg0/logs is mounted on /bin-logs; on-line resizing
required
old desc_blocks = 7, new_desc_blocks = 9
Performing an on-line resize of /dev/vg0/logs to 37408768 (4k) blocks.

The filesystem on /dev/vg0/logs is now 37408768 blocks long.

lvs
   LV   VG   Attr   LSize   Origin Snap%  Move Log Copy%  Convert
   data vg0  -wi-ao 350.00G
   logs vg0  -wi-ao *142.70G *

PS: I am raving fan of lvm all over again :)

thanks everyone and issue closed !

How about checking 'man lvresize'
and using option  '-r'  i.e.:

lvresize -r -L +40G /dev/vg0/bin-logs