[linux-lvm] LVM commands extremely slow during raid check/resync

Ray Morris support at bettercgi.com
Thu Mar 29 00:27:52 UTC 2012

> A question (or minor nit): how could lvm possibly require a fs sync
> to create a snapshot?  I could see this for Xen, where guest OS has
> to support a com channel to host.  But for full virtualization, LVM
> doesn't know in general what OS is running,

LVM doesn't have anything whatever to do with virtualization. There are
some cool ways to use them together, but actually most systems using
LVM aren't using virtualization. Sure, you could put a disk image on
a filesystem which is on a logical volume, but the snapshot and the
sync are in the OS where the logical volume is. Whether files in the FS
on the LV are used by Firefox or by qemu doesn't matter.
--
Ray Morris
support at bettercgi.com

http://www.bettercgi.com/strongbox/