[linux-lvm] lvreduce nightmare

Raptorfan raptorfan at earthlink.net
Sun May 20 21:39:34 UTC 2012

On 5/18/2012 10:13 AM, tariq wali wrote:
> so to i guess to do this right i should have
> resize2fs /dev/vg0/data 1.6T or (1600G
> and then lvreduce -n data -L 100G /dev/vg0/data ( to reduce the lvm by
100 )

This is probably a nit-picking.. but seriously consider picking a single
numeric selection for both operations. Either run both commands with an
absolute value (preferable in my opinion; there is NO QUESTION at that
point what your final state should be) or with the delta value. Mixing
both in the commands is another way to confuse what you actually want to
accomplish. If you'd used absolute values to start with there probably
would have been a reduced chance of failure (barring a typo.. though you
still need to verify the resize2fs command completed successfully before
doing the lvreduce).

-r