[linux-lvm] Isolation of volume groups

Fredrik Tolf fredrik at dolda2000.com
Mon May 28 14:33:48 UTC 2012

Dear list,

I have a device-mapper configuration with two volume groups named, for
reference, "ravol" and "datvol". The ravol VG has two LVs with XFS
filesystems on them, and the datvol VG has two LVs, one with an XFS
filesystem, and one with ReiserFS.

Last night, one of the PVs in datvol had a transient SATA link failure and
popped in and out of existence for a little while, which caused datvol and
the LVs on it to fail. No permanent damage seems to have occurred, though,
so I'm not too worried about that. I could bring datvol down and up again
to make it work, so I guess everything worked as should be expected.

What concerns me a little, however, is that ravol also seems to have been
oddly affected by the failure of datvol. At times, the filesystems on it
could hang for seconds, not responding; and while it was responding, XFS
was intermittently outputting messages like

May 28 14:58:58 nerv kernel: [30350.996032] xfs_force_shutdown(dm-33,0x1) called from line 335 of file /build/buildd-linux-2.6_2.6.32-38-amd64-bk66e4/linux-2.6-2.6.32/debian/build/source_amd64_none/fs/xfs/xfs_rw.c.  Return address = 0xffffffffa01df02c

or

May 28 14:51:38 nerv kernel: [29911.468028] Filesystem "dm-33": xfs_log_force: error 5 returned.

Once I brought datvol down and back up again, it stopped misbehaving, but
I don't really understand why this would happen. Why would ravol be
affected, at all, by what happens on datvol? Shouldn't they be isolated
from each other?

--

Fredrik Tolf