[linux-lvm] LVM2 recovery on IP-SAN after OS re-install

James Hawtin oolon at ankh.org
Tue May 29 09:14:52 UTC 2012

On 28/05/12 19:40, tariq wali wrote:
> Hi,
>  We had an OS crash on x86_64 CentOS , LVM2 and it had 6TB LUN  via
>  IP SCSI SAN mounted to it and after the OS reinstall on a crash we
> had hard time to mount the original SAN volume as you can imagine 6TB
> of marketing data with 3 LVM partitions as data data1 and data2 .
> After troubleshooting almost for a day I was able to get the LVM
> metadata using dd from the SAN LUN /dev/sdd1 which I used to recreate
> and restore all LVM partitions back to original state , we sure became
> the raving fans of LVM today ! however after all the recovery I see
> this annoying warning each time I execute any of the lvm commands ..
>
> lvs
> *  Found duplicate PV XtGmeFOiCTWpLBckKZKlGtYKPVdBgVJn: using
> /dev/sdd1 not/dev/sdc1*
>   LV    VG   Attr   LSize Origin Snap%  Move Log Copy%  Convert
>   data  vg0  -wi-ao 2.00T
>   data1 vg0  -wi-ao 2.00T
>   data2 vg0  -wi-ao 1.44T

1) The the same lun presented to the computer more than once? If this is
a deliberate thing for redundancy then your need to setup multipath to
take advantage use the devices in /dev/mapper of this and mask off the
raw /dev/sd? devices in your /etc/lvm/lvm.conf

2) Did you copy all the data from one disk to another? if so is the old
disk still available to the system?

3) Check you lun masking.

James