Re: [linux-lvm] Missing error handling in lv_snapshot_remove

On 08/07/13 11:41, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
Dne 7.8.2013 11:22, Andreas Pflug napsal(a):
Am 06.08.13 19:37, schrieb Bastian Blank:
Hi

I tried to tackle a particular bug that shows up in Debian for some time
now. Some blamed the udev rules and I still can't completely rule them
out. But this triggers a much worse bug in the error cleanup of the
snapshot remove. I reproduced this with Debian/Linux 3.2.46/LVM 2.02.99
without udevd running and Fedora 19/LVM 2.02.98-10.fc19.

On snapshot removal, LVM first converts the device into a regular LV
(lv_remove_snapshot) and in a second step removes this LV
(lv_remove_single). Is there a reason for this two step removal? An
error during removal leaves a non-snapshot LV behind.
Ah, this explains why sometimes my backup stops: I take a snapshot,
rsync the stuff and remove the snapshot with a daily cron job, but I
observed twice that a non-snapshot volume named like a backup snapshot
was lingering around, preventing the script to work. So this is no
exotic corner case, but happens in real life.

I observe this since I dist-upgraded to wheezy.

Because Debian is using non-upstream udev rules.

With upstream udev rules with standard real-life use, this situation
cannot happen - since these rules are constructed to play better with
udev WATCH rule.

Hm, does udev play a role on this at all? Without having dived the code, I'd assume udev has only to do with creation and deletion of /dev/mapper/... and/or /dev/vgname/... devices (upon lvchange -aX), but not with lvm metadata manipulation.

Regards
Andreas