[linux-lvm] Retrieve changed block with snapshots

g.danti at assyoma.it g.danti at assyoma.it
Tue Aug 13 21:00:53 UTC 2013

Hi all,
I'm using LVM2 as VM backend and I am very happy with the result.

One thing that I feel useful but that I can't figure how to get working
is to use snapshots to obtain the list of changed block after the
snapshot was taken.

To be more clear:
- immagine to have a LV called "LV1"
- take a snapshot of "LV1" and name it "SNAP1"
- now "SNAP1" has a point-in-time image of "LV1", and by reading from
it I can go "back in time" to when I issued the snapshot
- but how I can get the list of only the changed block between "LV1"
and "SNAP1"?

Its my understanding that some Ruby/Python scripts can read the COW
table and retrieve the list of the changed block, however I am not so
inclined to use them on production server. So, we have a method _inside_
the current LVM tools that enable us to retrieve the changed block list?

Regards.