[linux-lvm] lvremove is not deleting the file system

Guy Rouillier guy.rouillier at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 00:58:04 UTC 2013

I'm using xen-create-image in an attempt to set up a new VM; host OS is
Ubuntu Server 13.10, and I'm using LVM.  I failed in my first attempt
due to my inexperience, so I changed some input parameters and I'm
trying again.  The first attempt had successfully created the target LVM
volumes for boot, root and swap, so I used lvremove to delete them.  All
that went without error.

However, now when I try to run xen-create-image, I get the following
error at the beginning when xen-create-image tries to create the target
volumes:

Creating btrfs filesystem on /dev/dell-vg/oraclelinux-root
/dev/dell-vg/oraclelinux-root appears to contain an existing filesystem
(btrfs).
Error: Use the -f option to force overwrite.
Running command 'mkfs.btrfs /dev/dell-vg/oraclelinux-root 2>&1' failed
with exit code 256.
Aborting

I've tried searching for this error but can't find anything helpful.
I've rerun this a dozen times and get the same result each time
(deleting the created volumes and rebooting between each attempt.)  I
looked in the /dev tree, and I see the dm node (dm-4) disappears after I
run lvremove.  But apparently, lvremove doesn't delete the filesystem.
So when I recreate the same volume in the same order, the filesystem is
still there from the previous attempt.

How do I fix this?  Thanks.

--
Guy Rouillier