[linux-lvm] Re : create physical partition from logical partition

georges.giralt at free.fr georges.giralt at free.fr
Thu Feb 7 11:01:21 UTC 2013

Hello !
I suppose you do not want to loose any data ?
If yes, I'll give only steps to follow and not detailed instructions in order for you to study and understand what you are doing and not break anything.
Actually, given the picture shown, the volume group uses only the second partition of the physical disk (sda2) not the whole disk. But this is not relevant.
At first, you have to calculate how many PE left free you have. Decide what number you will keep free for future Centos extension.
Then, reduce the volume group size by the amount you can free (Number of PE x PE size)
If this is successful, Check that the now unallocated PE are at the end of sda2.
Then reduce the size of the sda2 partition, freeing space for a new partition.
Then create a new partition onto which you could install the new OS...

Hope this helps.